Kennywood Park

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePrint this page

The land that became Kennywood started out as part of a farm owned by Anthony Kenny. The land was known as “Kenny’s Grove” Kennywood Park, Pittsburgh, PA - Noah's Arkand was a popular picnic spot dating back to the American Civil War. The Monongahela Street Railways Company leased the land from the Kenny family in 1898 to build a trolley park at the end of the streetcar line.

Kennywood struggled during the Great Depression, but thrived in the years following World War II. The park struggled to compete with theme parks such as Disneyland in the 1960’s and 1970’s, but remained a front runner in the amusement industry. Kennywood managed to keep up with industry demands throughout the 1980’s and 1990’s by installing new rides such as the Exterminator and the Steel Phantom.Kennywood Park, Pittsburgh, PA - Kiddieland

The park was designated a national historic landmark in 1987. Lost Kennywood was added to the park in 1995 and featured a one-third-scale replica of the entrance to former competitor Luna Park. The exit sign, a giant heart that reads “GOODNIGHT”, is also a throwback to the former Luna Park. To this day, Kennywood remains a popular Pittsburgh attraction.

 

–Article by Meg O’Malley

Share this...
Share on Facebook0Tweet about this on TwitterEmail this to someonePrint this page

Contact Us

Pittsburgh, PA 15212
Phone: TOLL FREE 800-231-4788
412-761-4789
Fax: 412-761-4706
Email: Info@PopularPittsburgh.com


Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
Pinterest
Newsletter
RSS

Advertise With Us

See our Advertising Opportunities. Visit our Advertising Page.