Most people would prefer to age in their own home or have their parent remain in their own home rather than being forced to move to a
senior facility. Fortunately, there are many more options today to help keep you or your loved one living happily and safely at home. Services can range from performing light housekeeping to private duty nursing.
With so many resources available, how do you choose the right home care provider? Below are several points to keep in mind when selecting a caregiver.
- Is the home care agency licensed? Since 2009, the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has required home care agencies to be licensed and to meet certain requirements such are requiring agencies to conduct criminal background checks on all staff.
- How long has the agency been in existence?
- Should you have a concern or complaint, is there someone on staff to address them?
- Does the agency train its employees?
- Does the agency maintain open communications with the patient and his or her family members, including providing “Patient Bill of Rights,” developing a plan of care, and detailing exactly what services will be provided?
- How does the agency handle emergencies?
- Is there a protocol in place should the patient’s needs change? Are there other levels of service available?
- How are financial matters handled? Are costs explained and statements provided?
- Is the agency willing and able to provide references?